January 31 2022: We are returning to in-person browsing at all branches but curbside pick-up is still an option. For details please see our main Covid-19 page.
What you need to know about getting items
Please scroll down this page or follow this link on how to place holds and pick-up items.
January 31, 2022:
- Our hours will remain the same but we are at 50% capacity limits.
- You may browse in person or access free internet in the branch.
- You don’t need to book ahead for computer use, printing and laminating QR codes, etc.
- You can place holds via your account from home, scroll down this page to make a request or by contacting your local branch.
- Our drop-boxes remain open
Please keep checking our website for further updates, and stay safe. Please check here for our current opening hours.
Placing holds & pickups
How to place a hold
There are 4 options for placing holds:
- Through the online catalogue.
- email firstname.lastname@example.org with these details: your name, your phone or email, your library card number (if you have it) and what you would like on hold (titles of books, DVDs, audiobooks and/or magazines) plus which branch you would like for pick-up.
- Call (613) 359-5315 during Elgin pick-up times.
- See below for a handy request form
How to pick-up items
We will notify you once we have your items ready and let you know the soonest pick-up time available.
- For your safety, and that of others, if you feel sick do not show up for or return library materials. Stay home. Stay safe.
- At the door to the branch, check that the entrance is clear. Only one person at at time in the hallway.
- Your bag will be ready on the table in the hallway clearly labelled with your last name and the last 5 digits of your library card. Please only pick up your own bag.
- If you need any assistance, please call the branch by mobile phone.
- Drop-boxes are open for returns (library items only please, we can’t accept donations at this time)
Pick-up times are during our regular open hours, but may be subject to change depending on demand. Sunday Hours return in Elgin January 2, 2022.
Make a request
Frequently Asked Questions
What If I can’t make it to pick up my hold right away?
From the time we notify you, we will keep your pick-up bag for 3 opening times. If there are no holds on the items, we will call you a second time as a reminder. If there are holds, we will send the items on.
Can I order through interlibrary loan if you don’t have what I’m looking for?
Interlibrary loan may be slow to restart as many libraries have put new restrictions on their collections and there may be a longer lag time between returned items, processing and shipping. Please contact us for interlibrary loan requests.
What type of items can I put a hold on?
All books (including large print, children’s books, YA, graphic novels), DVDs, audiobooks, and magazines. If you’re not sure what you’d like to borrow, contact us and we can put together a selection for you.
Will there still be fines?
Rideau Lakes Public Library is 100% fine free but we may charge fines for overdue interlibrary loans that are not our own items.
How long will curbside delivery go on for?
We’re taking this on a week by week basis, following demand from the community and the guidelines from the provincial government and public health authorities. Curbside is part of a staged re-opening of public libraries across the province.