The Library is pleased to provide access to these information databases for your use in the Library*, from home or anywhere you access the Internet. To access these databases, you may need to enter the 14 digit barcode found on your library card and your 4 digit PIN.
***NEW** Creativebug for Crafters & Creatives
Find inspiration and instruction with Creativebug video classes, by clicking here. Creativebug has more than 1,000 award-winning art & craft video classes taught by recognized design experts and artists, and is a top resource for DIY, crafters and makers. All you need is your library card and a valid email address.
- Learn easy ways to practice your craft every day,
- Nurture your creative soul by learning new skills,
- Enjoy guilt-free inspirational screen time with unlimited access!
EBSCO is offering expanded access to some of their most popular online databases and eBook collections so that library patrons and students have greater access to valuable educational content for use during this extended period of time at home. They are offering 90 days of access to the following resources for public libraries in Ontario:Please use the following credentials with the links provided to access these resources:Username: solstrialPassword: Spring20202!
Canadian Reference Centre is the largest collection of regional full-text content available to Canadian schools and libraries. The database includes leading Canadian and international periodicals, reference books and biographies, plus thousands of images from the Canadian Press. Click here to access
Canadian Literary Centre: With a deliberate Canadian focus, this database consists of book and reference content from Essays on Canadian Writing Press (ECW Press). ECW Press also provides several individual monographs, author biographies, essays, literary criticism and book reviews. Click here to access
Canadian Points of View Reference Centre: Containing resources that present multiple sides of a current issue — including information on key topics of interest to Canadian researchers — this database helps students develop persuasive arguments and essays, better understand controversial issues and develop analytical thinking skills. Click here to access
To help libraries in their mission to serve patrons electronically during a time when their physical locations are closed, World Trade Press is offering free trial access to all public libraries in Ontario until July 31, 2020.
Access Online Here. *Must be inside library to access online.
A to Z World Travel cities
202 World Cities • 88 Topics per City. Our mission is to provide users with the global knowledge they need to be informed global citizens.
Driver Education Program
The online Driver Education program contains information on:
– 6 G1 practice tests for cars, 1 M1 practice test for motorcycles
– 1 G1 test simulator (cars), 1 M1 test simulator (motorcycle)
– FAQ section with detailed answers to 100+ MTO-related questions
Choose Your G1 Practice Test Now Access Online Here
Gale OneFile: CPI.Q
Search our award-winning Canadian Periodical Index for a variety of Canadian reference information with your library card. Click here to search
Global Road Warrior
Challenge yourself to learn a new language To help libraries in their mission to serve patrons electronically during a time when their physical locations are closed. Mango Languages is offering free trial until June 1, 2020. Access Online Here
Find your next read, fiction and nonfiction, by author, title, subject, genre. Access Online Here.
NoveList K-8 Plus
Our Ontario History, Heritage & Culture
Find digital images, text, audio and videos about Ontario history, heritage and culture. Search the collections of libraries, archives, museums, historical societies, heritage and community groups, government agencies, and private collections in Ontario and across Canada via a single search portal. English and French content.
Basic Reference Sources
- Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia
- The Canadian Encyclopedia
- Dictionary of Canadian Biography
Dictionaries & Thesauri
- Ontario Info Go (ServiceOntario)
Phone and Postal Code Directories
- Canada 411
- Canada Yellow Pages
- Canada Post
- AnyWho Pages
- US Zipcodes
- International Postal Authorities
Health Reference Sources
Service Ontario and nearly 400 libraries across the province are making it easier for people to access Ontario government information and services online. You can expect faster and easier access to a range of government services at a location near to you.
Service Ontario Help at the Library
Rideau Lakes Public Library staff have received specialized training in Service Ontario information and services. We can offer the following assistance to our patrons:
- Help accessing the ServiceOntario.ca site for information on programs, services or staff
- Referrals to government staff who can provide you with specialized help
- Answers to questions about government services
- Downloading and printing of government forms
Service Ontario Online
By logging on to the ServiceOntario website you can:
- Apply for a birth, marriage or death certificate
- Register for a campsite at a provincial park
- Get an application for a health card
- Register a newborn baby
- Renew a car license plate sticker online
- Change the address for your health card, driver’s license and outdoors card – all in one step
- Book a road test
- Renew your outdoors card
- Register a business name – and much more